Absolutely! This recipe is very flexible and forgiving. You can use any melty cheese that you like instead of the mozzarella and cheddar. Fontina, asiago and provolone will all work beautifully.
You can also replace the mozzarella, or part of it, with softened cream cheese. Reviewers of this recipe on Pinterest have made all sorts of yummy substitutions, with great success.
Stuffed Poblano Peppers
- 1 teaspoon olive oil for the pan
- 4 medium poblano peppers
(1 lb. total weight w/ refuse, 12 oz. cleaned)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium tomatoes diced (10 oz.)
- 1/2 medium onion diced (4 oz.)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large rimmed oven and broiler-safe baking sheet with foil and brush it with a little olive oil.
- Rinse and dry the poblanos. Cut a thin slice off the tops and remove the core and seeds. Cut a slit down the side of each pepper. Set aside.